A great way to start our semester together is through the Vanier Insect Collection. Below are the main requirements for your collection. My number one piece of advice is too start early....
Here are the final requirements for your insect collection.
1. 5 Pinned and classified insects
2. 3 Orders represented
3. One specimen from order Lepidoptera
4. One drawing for each of your insects. Label head, thorax, abdomen, legs, antennae, compound eye.
5. A written description of the three orders of insects you represented in your collection.
- Give me an idea that you are familiar with the orders....AKA do not make this a quick cut and paste job!
- Highlight one anatomical feature that each of your insects has that is unique to its order. For example, a grasshoppers ovipositor.
Please be careful with your insects. For two main reasons: Respect for the animal and you will be graded (among other things) on the overall condition of the insect.
Finally, here is a link to a superb insect collection document from Arkansas. This will help you get your project off the ground.